Thursday 22 November 2012

Winter-flowering Jasmine

Walking up Doll's Hill earlier today I was heartened by the sight of a Winter Jasmine, Jasminum nudiflorum, flowering abundantly. Though its flowers are clearly designed for insect pollination I have never seen it receive a visit from a bee, hoverfly or whatever.
It comes, of course, from China and in its native land it may get numerous visitors. (For some reason I am reminded of the lady actor of advancing years who said, "I may be on the shelf dear, but I'm taken down  regularly and given a good dusting.")

Jasmine is a member of the Olive Family, Oleaceae. It is thus related to Forsythia, Lilac and Privet, and under a hand lens the structure of the flowers clearly shows their relationship. However, it is also in the same family as Ash trees and there the resemblance is far less obvious. 

No comments:

Post a Comment