Thursday 17 January 2019

A deceptive sky

Another thought for the day:


Philosophy is essential for mathematicians,
an aid to physicists, worthless to chemists
and a disaster for biologists

                                   John Wright






Hmm. I'll have to think about that

-----------------------------------------

We had a dusting of snow overnight and, although a brilliant sun shone all day from a cloudless sky, the temperature never topped 3 degrees.

Not a day for going out although I braved the elements by venturing 10 yards down the garden. I went to once again examine the catkins on our Garrya elliptica and found that, according to my 'Funky Friends' ruler, they have reached an amazing 230 mm - and they still seem to be growing.


To be honest, I did venture into Daventry but for all its charm I didn't linger. Quickly home to curl up for a read.

I am flitting between Colin Tudge's delightful book 'The Secret Life of Trees' and 'Sapiens' by Yuval Noah Harari.


I have read both of them before, but they are so densely packed with ideas and information that they merit a second visit. For what it's worth, I feel that everyone should read, learn and inwardly digest the Harari book.

So, if you'll excuse me I'm about to start Chapter 9 - The Arrow of History.




To be honest I did go into Daventry


No comments:

Post a Comment