Tuesday 1 September 2020

Green Elfcup - minus the cups

I visited our local pocket park - Stefen Hill Pocket Park - today. It was, by my calculations, the umpteenth visit and yet, as usual, there was a story.


A rotting tree stump, familiar to scores of children and dog walkers, stands beside the perimeter footpath. Recent rains have made it sodden and the texture of the wood now resembles balsa. I carefully lifted some of this material and was pleased to expose a patch stained a copper sulphate sort of blue-green.



I recognised it as the stain formed by the Green Elfcup, Chlorociboria aeruginascens. I will keep an eye on the tree stump because, although the staining is not uncommon the fruiting bodies do not often appear - and they are rather spectacular. This fungus was once used to provide the colour for Tunbridge Ware pottery.


The Green Elfcup is not often seen in its fruiting form.
A child was walking nearby with her mother. After whispering to Mum she came over and shyly asked if she could show me something she had found on a leaf. I strolled over to the shrub in question and she showed me what had been puzzling her.

Harlequin ladybirds are all-too common. The larvae are easily seen at
this time of the year. Stefen Hill Pocket Park. 31 August, 2020

I explained that it was a ladybird. Both child and mother were clearly unconvinced so I explained to them, outlining a little about larvae and metamorphosis before telling them that it would turn into a Harlequin Ladybird. Both were clearly surprised. There is surely a place for schools having a decent garden or area of uncultivated ground for kids to get to know these fundamentals. (Although 70 years ago I, the same age then as this child, probably didn't know. I had no one to tell me.) I am certain that teachers are more knowledgeable today in many matters but that doesn't really make up for a lack of wild places.

Anyway, insects and other wildlife in parks and gardens is now dreadfully limited and I didn't find much else of note. I was a little surprised to find the leaves of Cherry (Prunus sp.) attacked by what appears to be Firethorn Leafminer, Phyllonorycter leucographella. It will attack beech but is generally confined to rosaceous trees such as pyracantha, rowan, apple, cotoneaster and so on. Of course cherry is in the rose family too but this is the first time I have seen it mined by this moth.

The Firethorn Leafminer is very common on Firethorn but is less
frequent on cherry. Stefen Hill Pocket Park. 31 August, 2020
Incidentally, the Firethorn Leafminer was first recorded in Britain as recently as 1989 but has clearly spread quickly and is a real nuisance to growers.






1 comment: